Peace of Mind Policy
Giving Customers Peace of Mind
You can have peace of mind! Makro only stocks quality branded goods. We are confident that you will be satisfied with every purchase you make. If you experience any problem or concern, please refer to the options provided for below. We are committed to operate our business in terms of the Consumer Protection Act and all policies are subject to the applicable law.
May I return a gift received over the festive season?
Yes, however we will only take back stocks purchased from Makro with the necessary documentation showing proof of the purchase and all returns will be subject to the following:
- Any items returned must have been purchased during the 2018 festive season, which will end on 31 January 2019.
- All liquor, and packaging, must be undamaged and in the same condition that it was bought.
- You cannot return different units of measure i.e. if you can buy a case of beer and then want to return a six pack or a single bottle.
- Importantly, returns can only be done in the Makro Liquor store, not in the main Makro store.
- Unfortunately all Traders are specifically prohibited from returning any stock.
- Any item returned cannot be past its expiry date or within three months of its expiry date.
- All returns will be processed as credit notes.
14 days exchange or refund policy
We will refund or exchange most goods if you return them within 14 days of purchase. However, the goods must still be in their original condition and packaging and you may not have used them at all. If you purchased these goods on your own Makro card you don’t even need to provide your original invoice, we will find it for you!
Are any goods excluded from the 14 day exchange or refund policy?
Yes, there are a few exceptions due to hygiene reasons, applicable legislation or for reasons of cost efficiency. The goods we exclude from the 14 day return and exchange policy are:
- Software, CD’s, DVD’s and pre-recorded videos are protected by copyright law. Unless there is a manufacturing defect in the goods, you can only return these goods if they are still in the original condition as sold and the packaging has not been opened yet.
- Goods purchased by way of special arrangement or custom order will only be replaced if defective
- Customers are encouraged to ensure that measurements and specifications of custom made blinds are 100% correct when ordering, as custom made orders cannot be refunded or exchanged if incorrect sizes were provided
- Perishable goods that are returned beyond their expiry dates
- Goods which are sold as red ticket goods, damaged, defective, used or repaired, where we disclosed these facts to you before you bought the goods
- Swimwear, underwear, shavers, toothbrushes and other personal care items
What if the goods are unsuitable for the purpose I initially bought them for?
- If you indicated a particular purpose for which you intend using the goods to a salesperson who confirmed that you will be able to use the goods for that purpose, you may return the goods within 10 working days after you purchased them if it turns out that the goods are not suitable for the purpose you anticipated and indicated to the salesperson
- Subject to our rights in law to charge you for use and to get the goods fit for re-stocking, we will give you a refund
What can I do if the goods are defective?
- If your goods turn out to be defective within the first 6 months after you received them from us, we will repair them, replace them or give you a refund. Products may be returned to your nearest Makro store or alternatively we can help you to arrange a 3rd party courier by calling 0860 600 999. The courier service will be charged at the going rate for your area and product specifications. Please note that it may not be possible to determine in-store whether goods have been damaged or what the cause of a failure or defect may be. This is of importance as it determines whether the goods may be repaired, replaced or refunded. Accordingly, we reserve the right to refer returned goods for technical assessment by the manufacturer or authorised service centre prior to repairing, replacing or refunding and to provide you with feedback within 10 days of receipt of the returned goods and to act accordingly. We may arrange for the assessment to take place at your home in the case of large appliances.
- If your goods show a defect after the initial 6 month period, but still within the manufacturer’s warranty period, Makro will send the goods to the manufacturer for repair and the manufacturer will decide whether you have a valid claim and if so, whether they will repair or replace
- If the goods become defective once the manufacturer’s warranty has expired, we can arrange with the manufacturer or its agents to repair them. No repairs will be done without you approving a quotation first
Are there any conditions that apply to manufacturers’ warranties?
As with all warranties, certain conditions and exceptions apply. Please take proper note of any terms or instructions that accompany your goods. We explain two general conditions as follows:
- Appliances, computers and sporting equipment
- Goods that show a manufacturing defect within the first 6 months of purchase will be repaired, replaced or refunded. We can book a service call with the supplier on your behalf, if you phone in and request us to do this
- Defects that develop after 6 months may be repaired, replaced or refunded at the manufacturer’s election, and subject to the relevant manufacturer’s policy or extended warranty
- The nature of the goods (size, technical specifications, etc.) often dictates where the repair will take place. For example, on site or at the manufacturer’s premises
- Used consumables such as printer toners or cartridges may not form part of the hardware being repaired and will thus not be replaced during repair
In what instances will the manufacturer’s warranty not apply?
The manufacturer’s warranty will only apply to defects in the process of manufacturing the goods and will not apply in the following instances
- Damage caused by lightning or power surges
- Damage caused by misuse or abuse to the goods
- Goods used for a purpose other than the purpose for which they were manufactured
- Goods used contrary to their instruction manuals
- Accidental damage
How will I be refunded?
Once we have accepted a return and approved a refund, you will receive the refund in one of the following ways:
- Credit note
- Electronic transfer directly into your account (5 to 7 days)
- Cash (if the original payment was made in cash)
- Credit card (by reversal back to your credit card and subject to banking delays)
- Cheque – within one week of request and only once your original cheque is cleared
- You will be refunded in the same manner in which you paid Makro
Can Makro assist me if I want an out of warranty repair?
Yes, we can assist you to have the goods repaired by acting as an agent on your behalf. The law requires the following in respect of repairs:
- The manufacturer or its repairs agent must quote you first and you need to accept the quote before the repair can take place
- The quote must include the supply and installation of replacement parts, as well as the labour costs
- You must also give authorisation for diagnostic work in order to determine the scope of the required repairs
Thank you for trading at Makro where you get everything you could ever want. And more. For less. We guarantee you peace of mind.